Friday 1 September 2017

Literacy Reflection W6 T3 2017

This week for Literacy I have been doing an info grid, a diagram and an explanation.

Info Grid
For my info grid my task was to pick 2 more creatures that were endangered along with whitebait and explain why they were endangered, what they look like, where they live, behavior traits and how we could help them. Here is my info grid:

Endangered Creature Info Grid
Similarity: I find that the animals I have chosen is that they are being hunted for fur/horns/food, etc.

Creature 1:
Whitebait
Creature 2:
Golden-Snub nosed monkey
Creature 3:
Black rhino
Why are they endangered?
Whitebait are endangered because over the years whitebaiting has become more common and it is also because that only 10% of the eggs survive after hatching.

Golden snub nosed monkeys are hunted for their fur.
Black rhinos are endangered because in africa they are hunted for their horns.
What is their natural habitat?
Most whitebait like to be in clean-water rivers to be able to see food and predators. They are also found in the sea.

Temperate, montane forests in central China.
Africa, Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
What do they eat?

Bugs or insects that fall from the surface. They will also eat crustaceans and other small fish.

Lichens, young leaves, fruits or seeds, buds, mature leaves, herbs, bark, and flowers.
Bushes, fruit, grasses and leaves.
Interesting or unique behaviour traits.
Whitebait can go in saltwater and fresh clean-water.

When moving as a group, males buffer both ends of the troop with OMUs at the middle.
They use their lips to pluck leaves and fruit from the branches.
Key features (description)
Whitebait are small fish that are usually white and grey. Inanga have small transparent fins that propel them through the water.

Image result for whitebait fish not dead

Golden Snub-Nosed monkeys are small and very, very cute, on the outside that is. Sometimes when I see photo’s, they have their mouths open and it’s not pretty at ALL. My nickname for them when their mouths are open is “the vampire monkey” because they have fangs like vampires. Luckily they are vegetarians even though they may look like they are carnivores.

Image result for golden snub nosed monkey
Black rhinos are a blacky-gray color with two sharp horns coming from their nose bone.

Image result
How can we help them.
Maybe make a rule where they can  only be hunted on specific times. EXAMPLE: only every 2 years.

Same as whitebait and Black rhinos.
(Maybe make a rule where they can  only be hunted on specific times. EXAMPLE: only every 2 years.)

We could also put ¾ of the population into a no hunting ground, animal sanctuary or zoo to prevent extinction.
Same as whitebait.
(Maybe make a rule where they can  only be hunted on specific times. EXAMPLE: only every 2 years.)
 Diagram
For the diagram I had to do it on the life cycle of a whitebait. I used sketcio to make it and then I put it onto a google drawing. Here is my diagram:

Explanation
For my explanation I had to write about the 4 stages in the whitebait life cycle. The four stages are eggs, larvae, whitebait, Inanga. Here is my explanation:

What is the life cycle of a whitebait?

A whitebait is a type of small, juvenile fish. There are 5 different species of whitebait, Inanga, Koaro, Kokopu, Giant Kokopu and a Short Jawed Kokopu. A whitebait has four different and important stages in their life.

The first stage is for the Inanga (Adult whitebait) to come to freshwater rivers to lay their eggs. An average Inanga will lay up tp 2 to 3000 eggs at a time. Sometimes eggs are laid out of the water or in shallow, muddy parts of the river to prevent other
fish from eating them. Still there are predators on earth, like dogs, birds and us! Did you know that only 10% of the 2 to 3000 eggs survive? And if they do survive then they will go onto their second stage, Larvae.

Larvae, the second stage in a whitebait lifecycle.
This is when the eggs hatch and the tiny, tiny whitebait spree into the actual river rather than land or the shallows. Larvae will eat small bugs that fall from the surface or crustaceans. Soon it will be time for the larvae to become young whitebait.

The 3rd stage for a whitebait in it's lifecycle is becoming an actual whitebait. When they become a whitebait, they will go down the river and into the salt water ocean. They are lucky to be able to move from saltwater to clean water as many other fish can't. A whitebait will eat what they ate when they were larvae along with eating one another. Still they do have the dangers that they had at the beginning of their life cycle.

Now it is time for the whitebait to become an adult whitebait-an Inanga. Now they will mate and the life cycle starts over again.

That is the lifecycle of a whitebait. Some whitebait don't survive, some do, but there is one thing for sure they have to be careful, if they want to!

By Kyra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.